Electrical Problem

R50 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Electrical Problem

Postby JCFinder001 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey all,

I took out my battery today to give the terminals a bit of a clean and get some of that blue acid stuff outta there. Ive since put it all back in the way it came out and the car wont start. Its not the battery as its still putting out 12.6 volts. When i turn the ignition a strange buzz noise (not a click) occurs and the starter motor dosnt turn the engine over. Also, when i switch the lights on, all of the lights on the dash turn off and then turn back on a few seconds later.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Its got me stumped.

Cheers,
Jeff.
JCFinder001

Re: Electrical Problem

Postby Mika » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:12 pm

battery earth lead isn't connecting to the battery/ground point properly.
'96 R50 Ti - Tough Dog 2" lift, AirLift 1000's, Rola racks and basket, 31' Maxxis Bighorn MTs, LPG, VDO cruise control, D22 Free wheeling hubs, kaymar spare wheel carrier - Gone to car heaven :(
'09 R51 ST-L - bog stock
Mika

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm

What Mika said.
What did you use to clean it?
stock 2007 2.5L TD R51 Ti beach warrior
Azrael

Postby GeorgeAlmighty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 pm

make sure the terminals are tight, make sure u didnt crack the terminal when tightening which will cause a loose contact.
GeorgeAlmighty

Postby Wato » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm

if the reds go out when in crank position, that indicates that the battery is dead.

Put the multimeter across the battery terminals and check the voltage at the battery when in the crank position, this should not drop below 8v ideally higher. if it drops below 8v, then you battery probably has a dead cell and needs replacement.

Ensure the wires that plug into the pos terminal are pluged in and tight.

check the voltage at the starter motor.

I assume the battery was refitted the right way.
Paul
Awaiting delivery of an R52 ST-L.
Wato

Postby JCFinder001 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

Managed to fix it up turned out to just be a dodgy connection to the negative terminal.

Just on the side, is it possible just to replace the wire that appears to be going from the negative terminal to the alternator? is it as easy as it appears or is it gonna be a b**** just like doing just about everything else on the pathfinder? :D

Bit of a rooky question also, but where is the starter on the R50 rig? i cant seem to find it...

cheers,
jeff.
JCFinder001

Postby GeorgeAlmighty » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:28 am

the negative shouldnt connect to the alternator, so make sure u double check what wire is what..... positive goes to alternator/start motor/fuse box and negative will go straight to the chassis and the engine block

starter from memory (pretty bad) is on the drivers side at about 8 oclock if your looking at the engine from the front.
GeorgeAlmighty

Return to R50 Pathfinder (1995 to 2005)