Pedders Suspension Advice

R50 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Committee

Re: Pedders Suspension Advice

Postby tiny101 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:14 pm

hi there i"ve just put on my car a 2inch lift springs only now i"am looking at getting some Shock Absorbers but i don"t know what to go for gas or foam cell can anyone please tell me the deference between them
Pathfinder ST 04 model 3.3L V6 auto petrol B/stone D694'S LT 265/70/r16 GME UHF TX4400 and tracklander roof rack and a ARB awning
tiny101

Postby NickJ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:52 am

Don't want to sound silly but one uses foam inside and the other uses gas.

I have Pedders foam on the back of mine and they are firm but heaps better than the worn out old OEM shocks.

Not a bad shock the Pedders.

Here's some better info..

Large bore shock absorbers like Pedders Gas-charged Trak Ryder shock absorbers feature a large 35mm bore, heavy-duty twin-tube construction and heavy duty mountings, Trak Ryder gas shocks keep heavy 4WD lift kit suspension systems under control and maintain a comfortable ride and precise handling.

For harsh and unrelenting conditions, Foam Cell Trak Ryder shock absorbers are the ideal choice. The foam cell technology virtually prevents shock fade (the mixture of oil and air inside a shock that dramatically reduces their performance). Foam Cell Trak Ryder shocks have a huge 41mm bore that further minimises fade and also allows more precise valve settings for unrivalled performance without compromising comfort. Pedders Foam Cell Trak Ryder shocks make for a great enhancment to any 4WD suspension lift kit.

Nick
2004 Pathfinder TI, LPG, FWH, Front Lokka, rear wheel carrier, UHF, 265/70-16 Dueller AT693 / 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns, Pedders shocks, +40mm springs, cwalkin bash plate
No side steps!
2000 model Honda Varadero 1000cc dual sport
PCOA Member # 155 - Victorian Membership and Trip Co-ordinator
NickJ
PCoA Committee - VIC Rep

Postby Duke » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Go for the gas shocks unless you carry a permanent heavy load in the back of your car.
I have foam cells in the rear, and have LPG, rear wheel carrier, drawers and fridge slide permanently in the car and still believe the foam cells are too firm/harsh for the car. If I was to do it again, I'd go for gas shocks with air bags to assist when loaded up.

Cheers,
Craig
1996 Pathfinder, custom steel bar, L/F 170's, pedders 40mm lift, 31"MTZs, UHF, front recovery points, LPG, Alpine IPOD stereo, bash plate, Rhino rack & basket, free wheeling hubs, DIY drawers & awning, Milford barrier, 40L Engel & slide, rear wheel carrier, lokka
Duke

Postby Jarh73 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't know for a fact 100% but the Pedders fronts struts for the Pathfinder are very likely KYB units.

I can't say too much but Pedders do source some of there products from KYB especially for the Japanese vehicles.

I'm lead to beleive that they do have them made to their own specifications in terms of dampening rates, compression and rebound.

Something to keep in mind if you are shopping around on price alone.

Otherwise i have nothing bad to say about pedders having had them on various 70's model holdens and on my 1997 honda integra.

I went with KYB for my pathfinder simple because they were great value for money and i could install them myself.

And i wasn't looking to raise the suspension.

Cheers

Justin
2000 model R50, Impco LPG conversion. Genuine Nissan alloy bullbar. John55's old Bash plate. 245/75 BFG Mud terrains on Steel Holden Frontera rims. Polyairs, Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS. 2.5 Inch Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust. And a 1998 Nissan Patrol GU 2.8 Turbo Diesel with lots and lots of stuff!
Jarh73

Postby carl79 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm

I have had KYB shocks fitted to my car for just over 2 years with a 2inch lift and they have been great.
03 TI pathfinder king springs snake racing strut spacers air lift 1000 air bags air flow snorkel 245/75/16 coopers ATR'S IPF spotties custom made nudge bar and bash plate 2.5inch exhaust system avm free wheelin hubs.
carl79

Postby prdreilly » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:52 pm

My biggest conssern is knocking sound (very very loud) when wheels “run out of road” and they drop in a hole as wheel down travel is reduced to only 50-60mm. Is it normal? How to increase down travel?

Yes, I have noticed this too, just going over a speed bump too fast can cause an almight thump in the front end as you run out of travel. I imagine it is a function of the lift, just means that the amount of downward travel is limited and so it is not hard to find the limit. Just have to remember to drive slower over big humps!

Downward travel can't really be increased, as that would require the drive shafts to be able to operate on a greater angle than designed.

Reagarding the Gas versus Foam rear shocks mentioned in earlier posts, I probably agree the Foam is a bit stiff, but with the weight of the LPG tank, I'd probably go with the foam again, but without that extra weight, then definately, the gas shocks.
2003 R50 Pathfinder ST, LPG, 2" Pedders lift, 30mm Snake Racing Rear Coil spacers, Lokka Front Diff, D22 FWH's, Bridgestone D694's (LT255/70/16), Reverse camera (eBay) & aftermarket Bash Plates.
prdreilly

Postby NickJ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Kenny

I just completed my Pedders setup with some new struts (Pedders only do gas front struts) and I also got +40mm front springs. The ride is firm, but I rn my tyres at 40-42psi on the road so not much different. It certainly handles much better now, just hope the front tyre wear (scolloping) stops now.

The struts are $552 and the springs are $230 supply only.

Nick
2004 Pathfinder TI, LPG, FWH, Front Lokka, rear wheel carrier, UHF, 265/70-16 Dueller AT693 / 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns, Pedders shocks, +40mm springs, cwalkin bash plate
No side steps!
2000 model Honda Varadero 1000cc dual sport
PCOA Member # 155 - Victorian Membership and Trip Co-ordinator
NickJ
PCoA Committee - VIC Rep

Previous

Return to R50 Pathfinder (1995 to 2005)