Davo69 and the Nurse's trip to Central Qld 11-21 July 2008

Been on a trip ? Tell us about it here

Moderator: Committee

Davo69 and the Nurse's trip to Central Qld 11-21 July 2008

Postby davo69 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm

G'day all.... thought we'd share our trip to Auburn River National Park (near Mundubbera), Cania Gorge NP, a daytrip to Kroombit Tops NP and the last few days at our 'secret' camping spot near Beaudesert.

Day 1 - Fri 11 Jul - Brisbane to Auburn River

Our trip started at 7.15am, straight after the Nurse walked out of the hospital's front doors after completing nightshift.The trip to Auburn River took around 5.5 hours, with the Nurse not remembering around 80km of the trip....(noddyland! :D ). The campground had accommodation for 5 car-based camps, with ours being a 16 foot square, surrounded on 3 sides by a timber retaining wall .... we know it was only 16 foot wide, as the Trackabout only just managed to squeeze in once folded out.

After setting up camp, we took a quick trip to the lookout....

and discovered a giant stone 'ovenmitt' protruding out of the ground.... :D

On the way back to our camp, we met our neighbour, who told us he was an amateur astronomer, was going to get his telescope out later on, if the weather was fine. After dinner, we heard banging and clanging, and peered over to find a huge telescope (about 2 metres tall and 300mm diametre - or the size of a large hot water system) ... and he said he was an amateur!.... we left him to it and called it a night.... :roll:

Day 2 - Sat 12 Jul - Auburn River

After a lazy start on this morning, and battling an overgrown, rough 800 metre track, we explored the riverbed and gorge made of salmon pink shiny and very slippery granite! Travelling 100 metres 'as the crows flies', was 5-600 metres of challenging boulder negotiation, requiring climbing on your hands and knees and sliding on your bottom at times. But the scenery, was spectacular! And so were the trillion year old giant shoe imprints in the granite!

That night, we enjoyed a beautiful Cottage Pie, made in the campoven...yummo!

followed by a discovery that the brand new 12 volt camp shower (only used 5 weeks before at Mount Moffatt), was dead... hohum... back to cup and bucket for showers again!!

Day 3 - Sun 13 Jul - Auburn River to Cania Gorge

We had a leisurely packup on this morning, and head for Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat, located on the national park boundary for 5 nights.... after setting up, a guy wanders over to check out the Trackabout, and tells a story about his mate who bought "Ugly Betty", a bright orange trailer that 'flew' over a jump at a competition ( ??? sound familiar JT??), well apparently its still going strong! Lunch was the leftover Cottage Pie in jaffles.... extra yummy!!!

Dinner tonight was Lamb casserole in the campoven... yummo

Day 4 - Mon 14 Jul - Cania Gorge

Today, we put the boots on again, for a 5 odd km loop of Giants Chair Lookout and Ferntree Pool. Somebody (Davo69), lead us up the wrong path which resulted in 900metres of steps to the foggy lookout, which nearly killed both of us :evil: ,

followed by a 4 odd km, gentle descent to Ferntree Pool (quogmire) and back to the carpark...

where we found the path we should have taken.... oh well.... at least it got the heart and lungs working!

That afternoon, we went driving to Cania Dam, and then over the Burnett Highway to Coominglah State Forest...

... today's casualty (joining the dead 12 volt shower) is.... the bashplate (from I don't know where) but from a spot under the car, where we didn't need one, or so I'm told :shock: ... apparently it was only holding on with 2 screws...

Day 5 - Tue 15 Jul - Cania Gorge - Kroombit Tops NP - Cania Gorge

This morning, saw us taking the very slow scenic 4WD track from Cania Gorge to Kroombit Tops NP...50km took over 2 hours! trapsing all over farms and muddy farm roads, with the Pathfinder finding traction control once.... The 4WD track was ok to do in 2 wheel drive, until you reached the boundary of Kroombit Tops, and needed to start climbing up the ridge....time to lock her into 4WD, and low range at that!
On the trip there, we saw 4 emus and 8 kangaroos eating some poor farmers crop and 2 wedgetail eagles.....

We arrived via the East Escarpment, and headed to the lookout, was heavily fogged, but worth a look...

We then headed towards the Barricks, for the park brochure, and to orientate ourselves.... the brochure showed an internal 4WD track, and it had a spot we needed to visit... 'Beautiful Betsy', and to get to it, we travelled 20km on the 4WD track, to the turnoff... with the final section had a steep timber 4WD boardwalk that we needed to drive up....

'Beautiful Betsy', a US B-24 Liberater Bomber that crashed in 1945 while travelling from Darwin to Brisbane, and was discovered on a ridge by a park ranger burning off in 1994. All 8 occupants on board died, after the plane hit mid section, on an emergency ascent to climb a ridge. The wreckage is still in its resting place and a debris field of more than 100 metres wide and long... it was suprising that so much fuselage, electrical wiring, radios and smashed pieces of carbies were still laying on the ground, and not taken by 'trophy-hunters'. The main intact piece of Betsy is her tail, which is inverted and backwards on the ridge, and her motors scattered in different directions.

Visiting the wreckage is a must do, and it is quite sombering yet interesting. The trip to get there... I would NOT do again.... 35km internal 4WD track that took 3 hours, and many times of me getting out of the car, to direct Davo69.... so scary..... especially when we saw only one other couple up there.....

So, after travelling all day on 4WD tracks, I begged Davo69 to take the bitumen home, via Calliope and Biloela, back to Cania Gorge.
On the steep decent down from the Kroombit plateau, I found a funny road sign....

The bitumen trip took forever, and we arrived at Biloela at 5pm in the dark, and raining heavily..... and we still had an hour to go, until we reached Cania Gorge..... a quick bite for dinner at KFC, saw us back on the road, but no before stopping up the road, due to a black 'thing' flying or 'trying to hang itself' on the Pathfinder's roofrail.... no damage to the car.... but we didn't find what hit us... and luckily with the rain, the kangaroos and wallabies were not on the roadside..... :D

We arrived back to our comfortable, dry Trackabout around 6.30pm (after being on the road for nearly 12 hours), to find the rain had followed us home from Biloela... don't know how much we had, but it was more than 3mm they had in Monto but less than 31mm they received in Bilo.

Day 6 - Wed 16 Jul - Cania Gorge

This morning, we decided to take an easier day, with a slightly wet walk to 2 Storey Cave and King Elkhorn Crevice. On the track we encountered a beautiful rock feature, that you walked through.....

followed by a quick detour to King Elkhorn Crevice....

and finally onto 2 Storey Cave.... where the first chamber was less than impressive.... I climbed towards the back wall, and on some rocks and found the second chamber, which was more impressive......

We then decided to check out Monto and district, as according to the Shire Council map, there were 'attractions'. We visited Tellebang Mountain.... yep, done that! Drove across the road, to a soggy gravel track (that looked like it was last used 100 years ago) to find the Selene Mine... yep, done that too!..... And the last place we wanted to find was the 'Bunyip Hole', where we were going to have a quick lunch... well the trip down the road was interesting.... very soggy, red mud that was super slippery, and had the Pathfinder's traction control launched again.... time to lock it into 4WD .... so the Bunyip hole..... we didn't find any bunyips, but we found a hole on the road, that could swallow a Pathfinder :( , so I decided I had suffered enough with the 'attractions' and turned back to Cania Gorge, where we had a lazy afternoon.

Day 7 - Thu 17 Jul - Cania Gorge

Today, was sorting and packing day in preparation for a very quick getaway the next morning. Davo69 drove to Monto to fuel up, while I stayed at camp, being entertained by 3 red tailed black cockatoos near the front of the campertrailer.

Davo returned from Monto, bearing warm pizza (it was hot when he bought it, but it's a 23km drive to Cania).... very nice thought!
After packing, we spent a lazy afternoon reading magazines around the campfire...

this was not our original plans for today.... we were supposed to be walking the brand new (opened only 3 weeks before) 22km return Castle Mountain track on the Cania escarpment, but our enthusiasm died and the track would have been still to wet!!

Day 8 - Fri 18 Jul - Cania - Brisbane - Beaudesert

Today, we were meant to drive back into Brisbane, to pick up our boxer Cleo, and continue onto to Beaudesert for the remainder of our holiday. We arrived home at 1.30pm after collecting the dog, to find after unloading a few non-essential items, we were to tired to go on today, and we should head out in the morning. Dinner tonight, was kindly supplied by mum! AHHH my bed... soo comfy........

Day 9 - Sat 19 Jul - Brisbane to Beaudesert

After a very late start today, we made to Beaudesert by 1pm, and set up camp (again), and tried to get the camp fire going, in preperation for Roast Pork and Vegies in the campoven.... Beauie had some rain and heavy fogs... and the wood took all day and night to dry around our measly fire (only kindling would burn!!!), but we managed to pull off a great roast pork dinner.....

We went to bed very early, as the temperature was starting to drop.... (it was 7.7 at 6pm), to be woken every early, with near freezing temperatures inside the Trackabout...... while Cleo the boxer was very snuggly under her thick red jacket and faux fur throw rug!

Day 10 - Sun 20 Jul - Beaudesert

Very chilly morning... and then the wind started.... it was cold all day, and tried to stay warm around the campfire..... the tarp covering the Trackabout required double tent pegging and up to 3 guy ropes on each pole to stop it from blowing away!!!! Dinner tonight, was a mouthwatering Roast lamb and vegies with mint sauce......

We retreated to bed early, as the wind was terrible.... and Davo had to get up in the middle of the night to check to tarp.... the tarp and the campertrailer survived the night.......and then the rain started......

Day 11 - Mon 21 Jul - Beaudesert to Brisbane

We packed up very slowly, as we were waiting for the sun to come out and dry things out and we were also being harrassed and entertained by the resident cows..... they were eating the ash and charcoal from the ex-campfire,

attempting to drink the water off the top of the box holding the firewood - despite us being situated right beside the creek!

We had cows on each side of the Pathfinder, licking the car windows.... yukko.......

and Cleo was least impressed with their crazy antics.......

We left the property via the heavily rutted black road and multiple creek crossings, to reach the comfort of the bitumen, for the hour trip home..... ARGGGG, now I have to do all the unpacking and washing!

But we had a fantastic time.... Auburn River is definately my favourite, while Davo69 was very taken by Beautiful Betsy at Kroombit Tops.

More pics of our trip can be found at:

http://www.myswag.org/gallery/v/davo69/ ... July+2008/

the Nurse, Davo69 and Cleo the boxer
Last edited by davo69 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 ST-L Diesel Manual, **BRAND NEW - LIGHTFORCE 240'S**, 245/70/17 BFG MT/KM2, TJM and Tough Dog Suspension, Dual Batteries , Cargo Barrier , Explorist XL GPS, Electric brake controller, Snorkel, Polyairs, Ironman Stainless Steel/Hammer tone Bullbar, Homemade Drawers, Trackabout Camper Trailer.
davo69

Re: Davo69 and the Nurse's trip to Central Qld 11-21 July 2008

Postby Wilsil » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Well done, really good pictures.
It makes me feel sad: I NEED A HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!
Sold: 06 R51 ST-L TDI
Sold: 1994 Toyota Surf SSR-G TD D-Gas
Now: Lexus LX470 4.7 V8, HID spots, ARB Sahara bar, Eaton front E-locker, Safari snorkel, Mickey Thompsons ATZ 4-rib
Wilsil

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Dave and the Nurse,

Nice trip and report. Pitt about the portable shower. Is it covered under warranty?

I am coming up to Brisbane in September. We should catch up for a trip or two :D

Cheers,
Bobby
2004 ST. Nissan Alloy Bull Bar, Cooper ST LT245/75R16, Bilstein Shocks and Struts with King Springs 40mm Raise all round and Poly Airbags. Thule Cross bars and roof box. LPG, spare wheel career, Bash Plate , Cargo Barrier, GME TX-3220 C/B. H4 Phillips Blue Vision bulbs. Airflow Snorkel.
Bobby

Postby bushman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Great report there with some awesome pics, weel done. 8)
09 NT Pajero Di-D
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback

Pathie gone, not forgotten
bushman

Postby alexr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 pm

I have just finished dinner - and yet for some reason I am hungry again....

Thanks for the great trip report. I don't need a holiday anymore - I have just been on one with you... :)
alexr

Postby V8supercarsrock » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Davo & Tammy,

We got your postcard ... thanks for thinking of us (AND making us VERY jealous !! :evil: ) that was an AWESOME trip report and I so wanna go to the "secret" camping spot ... when was your next weekend planned for there ??????

it looks and sounds like you had a great trip and lots of R & R.

Bobby wrote:Dave and the Nurse,

I am coming up to Brisbane in September. We should catch up for a trip or two :D

Cheers,
Bobby

Bobby, We will have to organise a trip just let us know the dates & we will get it sorted out

Cheers
David
Now 2011 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TD Auto now with ARB front and rear steel bars, Narva 225's Factory rock sliders, in dash gps/sound system, GME TX3400 and a factory hard AND soft top!!!!
Before.... 06 ST TD Man
V8supercarsrock

Postby davo69 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm

V8,
I'll need to check my roster, but we might be able to take a weekend trip in Sept if Bobby comes up.... hope he doesn't mind roughing it in a cow paddock!

And I'm sorry to make every jealous... but I needed to share, to give you inspiration to get out there and explore our great land (before diesel prices kill us!)... our trip was only little compared to Jo and John's trip.... now I'm very jealous of them!

the Nurse
2006 ST-L Diesel Manual, **BRAND NEW - LIGHTFORCE 240'S**, 245/70/17 BFG MT/KM2, TJM and Tough Dog Suspension, Dual Batteries , Cargo Barrier , Explorist XL GPS, Electric brake controller, Snorkel, Polyairs, Ironman Stainless Steel/Hammer tone Bullbar, Homemade Drawers, Trackabout Camper Trailer.
davo69

Postby Willow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Awesome report guys. Just loved every word and the pics were even better. Well done.
85 PAJ ,IPL spots,GME3200,limited scratches,unlimited attitude. Diff & G'box breathers, Cargo Barrier. Fire Exts. Dvd Player, Rebuilt motor. Extractors, Oh and my Camper ready to play. N'manICN720 and now a 70 lt Ice mate eski.
Cheers Willow.
Willow

Postby sirbrozo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Tammy and Dave,

What can I say? Great report as always, you really took us there. I am up for a September trip -are you bringing your camp oven Tammy? That crackling does look awesome :wink:
Cheers,
Alex

Postby Wilsil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 pm

I like the picture of Burnett Highway: red dirt, blue sky, green grass.
That's Australia I saw at the pictures in Europe. And that's what I want to see myself.................one day.
Sold: 06 R51 ST-L TDI
Sold: 1994 Toyota Surf SSR-G TD D-Gas
Now: Lexus LX470 4.7 V8, HID spots, ARB Sahara bar, Eaton front E-locker, Safari snorkel, Mickey Thompsons ATZ 4-rib
Wilsil

Postby Rodos » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Great report and photos guys! Always love it when people describe and photograph the food! Isn't it great to get out there!

Rod
2005 R51 STL Blue. Milford cargo barrier, OL roof rack, TJM bash plates and Cooper ATR tyres, ARB steel bar, Lightforce, Bilsteins shocks, Lovell Springs/Polyairs, Custom Rear Storage, Waeco CF-50, in-car air compressor, ICOM IC-400Pro and a big whippy aerial. Simpson Desert '08, here we come!
Rodos

Postby Damo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:28 am

Great report guys. And good to see you can get your windows cleaned for you without being stopped at traffic lights and hit up for gold coins :-)

Especially loved the mouth-watering food shots and "beautiful betsy".

Damo
2000 R50 ST, nissan bull, nissan tow, john55 bashplate, airlift air springs... ...so far
Damo

Return to Trip Reports